I love Vashon. Seriously I do. I am thrilled we live here, but a lot of people I know have pondered moving to Vashon and more than a couple people we know are really considering a move. The thing is, this place is not for everyone. So even though I am all about you moving here there are some reasons to NOT move to Vashon.
1. I think the nature of Vashon is introverted. Sure there are extroverts here- but communities have personalities and I think this community is an introverted one (PNW in general probably is). This is a place where people stay at home, do there own thing, enjoy families, leave parties early, linger in deep conversations etc. The social scene here is also legit, don't get me wrong. But the scene here is NOT socialite.
2. If you are going to work off Island (and your partner is too), you need to be comfortable with your kids being on an island without you. For us that means we have an emergency plan and such but for some people having Puget sound between them and their kids is too much.
3. Ferry Life and Boat life are not everyone's cup of tea. You will spend some time missing ferries, changing last minute plans, reading books on the boat, and excercising while walking laps on the boat. For Islanders, we learn to love this time- to read, clean our cars, sleep etc. But this style is not for everyone.
4. If you crave diversity of choices then the island is a bad place to live. A handful of resturants, 2 hardware stores, 1 shoe store, 1 bookstore, is quaint and charming for vacation. But, if you are a consumer reports reading comparison shopper. You shouldn't come here. Sure you COULD live here and comparison shop Seattle, Tacoma or Bremerton- but why?
5. If the rain already gets you down then stay away! It isn't rainy-er here per se but it feels wetter somehow. Because it is grassy and mossy and tree covered the Island feels wet even when it ISN'T raining. When you are in an urban environment the asphalt and concrete dries faster. So if the rain makes you enjoy being at home and get all cozy and warm then go for it- otherwise stick to your drier environment.
6. Just straight up, there are a lot more 50+ and young families on the island than in most other places. So if you are 20 years old and looking for a vibrant hook up scene or clubbing culture or even partnership, I would not recommend Vashon as the best location to do that hunting.
7. The ethnic diversity here is...um...lacking. You will have to go off island for that (or import it).