Thursday, January 28, 2016

Vashon EMTs. Our experience.

Several weeks ago our children were in a car accident (with an adult other than their parents).  I don't want to go into the details of the car accident.  Except to talk about Vashon EMTs.

Our two kids (ages 1 and 6) were transferred to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.  When I got the call that something had happened I talked to one of the EMTs.  I believe it was a Captain.  He introduced himself and said, very reassuringly, "Everyone seems to be just fine. We are doing this as protocol." He walked me through what was going to happen. And called 2 more times before they arrived at HMC (I was in Seattle when I got the call).

When they finally arrived at the ER, our 1 year old was sound asleep on on EMT's shoulder.  Our 6 year old had been well comforted.  They had thought to scour the car for things like a bottle, diaper bags, car seats and all the stuff we would need for a long day in the ER.

What they brought most of all was a load of compassion.  They talked to us in a humane way. They were gracious, communicative and did their job so so so well!  I honestly couldn't believe how kind they were.

We also learned weren't going to receive a bill.  An emergency transfer to a hospital is apparently part of our property taxes.




No comments:

Post a Comment